Thursday 18 September 2014

Gutierrez: Sagna tackle may have saved my life

Gutierrez: Sagna tackle may have saved my life

Jonas Gutierrez has revealed a sensational story of how a challenge from Bacary Sagna led to the diagnosis of his testicular cancer, possibly saving his life.
The Newcastle midfielder has this week opened up about his battle with the illness, for which he is currently undergoing chemotherapy after having his left testicle removed in his native Argentina.
And Gutierrez has disclosed details of how the diagnosis came about following a tackle from then-Arsenal player Bacary Sagna.

‘I had a very hard collision with Sagna in the area of the pubic bone and the genitals. From then I had a lot of pain that wouldn’t go away,’ he said.
‘I spoke with the doctor after the game and he said, ‘If it doesn’t hurt then don’t worry. Then it was holiday time and I felt the pain more.
‘And in September I noticed that the testicle was inflamed.
Gutierrez: Sagna tackle may have saved my life
‘I went back to the doctors and they told me to have an ultrasound and detected a tumour. They told me I needed an operation.
‘I asked them, ‘Is it cancer?’ and they confirmed that it was. I left the clinic crying.
‘In October they operated; I had to rest and they reassured me it had not spread and that I didn’t need any more treatment at the moment.’
The 31-year-old made just six appearances last season, two for Newcastle and four while on loan with Norwich.
Well-wishes have flooded in from clubs, players and supporters since Gutierrez disclosed his battle earlier this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot