Thursday 30 March 2017

Meet the millionaire businessman who gave away fortune after horror Ferrari crash nearly killed him


Meet Mazzi Dumato, the 38-year-old millionaire businessman, who swapped a “meaningless” luxury playboy life for a humble existence sleeping in a battered VW camper van after he had an epiphany following the near-death experience following a horror crash in his brand new Ferrari nearly killed him.

The entrepreneur credits his traumatic accident and meeting his wife as the turning points that lead him from the playboy life of $150,000 Ferraris to living in a battered VW camper van.
“I bought a Ferrari and I thought I had achieved everything I wanted to achieve,” he said. I started partying and two weeks later I got into a car accident and I was in a five-car pileup. I fell asleep and ended up under a pickup truck.”

“That morning in jail the first person I met there was someone that I knew fifteen years ago. He was the father of one of my good friends in high school. I remember I always looked up to him as he had five cars and a was a big businessman in Dubai.

“This guy arranged for me to have a mattress and a pillow and I remember I sat on that and thought this is all I have right now. Taken away this freedom and all I had was this mattress and pillow and I was just like everyone else in here. I wasn’t that big shot Mazzi that I thought I was the whole time. It was an incredible realisation.”
That realisation set Mazzi on his travels upon his release as he struggled to figure out what he wanted to do with his life. Those travels led him to the love of his life.
“A year after I left Dubai I was in a club in Brazil one night and overhear this woman talking about Africa,” he recalled.

“She was volunteering in the Congo shortly after she had come out of hospital for leukaemia. She decided that she was going to go and help people. She volunteered at the UN and they sent her to the Congo where she spent a year and could have relapsed at any time.

“I met this woman just after she had come back and she’s now my wife Milena who has inspired me tremendously at the time. We moved in together and we started to think what we could do.”
Mazzi and Milena donated some money to a charity in the Dominican Republic and went there to help Haitian refugees. Mazzi soon realised people needed his time and not necessarily his money.
“Just before we left that village the whole village cried for her,” he said. This woman really touched so many people from the youngest babies to the oldest people in the village. Everybody loved her, not because of the money she gave them but because of her time.”

“This is when I realised that charity is not about money. It’s about giving your time truly in service to others. We realised that we cannot give our money to charity and we should be doing our own charity.”
In a tragic turn of events, Milena developed breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy and bone marrow transplant. Mazzi spent around $700,000 on her treatment and was inspired to find alternative treatments.
“The doctor treating Milena was setting up a cancer prevention centre and the adjacent property was available,” he added. I bought the land and my deal was that 50% of the cancer prevention centre’s income would go to providing the service for free to people who couldn’t afford the treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot