Sunday 23 February 2014

Traditional ruler turned musician

Baale-of-omole-300x194

A certain traditional ruler in Lagos state, Baale of Omole, Alhaji Nonsiru Taiwo Bakare who has turned a musician has said he can never sing for commercial purpose but to correct the vices in the society.
“I will never sing in any occasion because of money.  I will not be singing and people will be spraying me.  God forbid!  I won’t do that.  God has warned me against anything like that.  I only sing to correct societal ills.” He disclosed in a recent interview with Encomium.
Taiwo Bakare who recently launched his debut album, Stubborn Driver (Awako Alagidi), which has been enjoying public attention, said “Most of our musicians are sycophants.  They only want to be praise singing people and making money from them even if the person they are praise singing is a criminal.  I have not even realized a kobo from what I have done and I have spent over N400, 000 on it.

But I thank God that it’s widely accepted. It’s now being played in almost all radio stations.  It has become institutionalized.  My music is now the most accepted on radio programmes that have to do with transportation.  People discuss it everywhere.  The inspiration came in a day and I documented everything, rehearsed it and entered the studio, all in a day.
Speaking further, the 55 year old Baale said “I am not a praise singer or an entertainer.  I only sing to correct social ills which is exactly what I have done in the album.  I have never practiced music.  Even throughout my primary, secondary and tertiary institutions, I was never involved in anything like that.

 “People are free to criticize.  As a traditional ruler, I can’t start doing that now. I taught Islamic Religious Studies for 30 years. I didn’t seek any government attention.  I organize Baale Omole Cup.  The fourth edition will hold soon, I didn’t ask for any government support. I normally criticize the government.  I am not a sycophant, I don’t genuflect, I don’t beg for anything.  At my age, I can’t do that.  I will be 55 next month and 15 years on the throne.  So, there is no reason people should be thinking in that direction.” He quipped.

24/7 News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot