Sunday 18 May 2014

Drogba donates €1m to mining disaster families

Drogba donates €1m to mining disaster families

The Ivory Coast international striker, doing his part as a United Nations ambassador of goodwill, makes a generous donation in the wake of the recent tragedy in Turkey
Galatasaray attacker Didier Drogba has donated €1 million (£814,000) to the families of the victims of the mining disaster in Soma, Turkey.


The Istanbul giants wore helmets ahead of their league game against Kayseri Erciyesspor on Saturday to show their support and the Ivory Coast star went one step further in his role as a United Nations ambassador of goodwill.

"I am a UN ambassador of goodwill and I will do all that I can to help the people in Soma," Drogba told reporters.

"But I don't want anyone to use my name. I'm not someone who will promote himself in such issues. I don't need this sort of self-promotion."

On May 13 an explosion at a coal mine in Soma caused an underground mine fire, which burned until May 15. In total, 301 people were killed in what was the worst mine disaster in Turkey's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot