Monday 23 March 2015

My Parents Knew I Was A Robber - Suspect


A suspected member of an armed robbery gang, Mutiu Rasheed, who was arrested by the Lagos State Police Command, has said his parents are aware that he is an armed robber.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Rasheed, along with two others - Ahmed Musiliu and Sodiq Dada - were nabbed by operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad on February 5.

Our correspondent gathered that the three suspects were rounded up by the police in the Isheri Berger area - a boundary area between Lagos and Ogun states.



The police said the suspects, who had confessed to the crime, made use of four locally-made guns, two of which had reportedly been recovered.

Our correspondent learnt that Musiliu was first arrested by the police before he led detectives to apprehend the others.

The police added, however, that the gang had other members who were still at large.

During interrogation, the suspects were said to have confessed to have organised robberies during which many vehicles were stolen, including a Toyota Highlander, a Toyota Camry and a Toyota Sienna.

Speaking with PUNCH Metro, 22-year-old Rasheed said his parents, who knew about his robbery operations, had warned him to return the guns in his possession, but he refused.

He said, "I stayed in Ketu with my parents where I worked in an aluminium company before joining the gang.

"My mother first knew about this when other gang members came to our house to report to her that I had fled with their guns to Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.

"She then called me on the phone to return the guns, but I did not listen. I was using the guns to go on operations in the Ijebu Ode area.

"When we went out as a gang, we snatched vehicles which were usually Toyota products.

"We sold them, but the gang did not give me my correct share. Since the police arrested me, my parents have not come to check on me because they are aware of all my activities."

Also, Musiliu, 23, who had served a one-year jail term at the Ikoyi Prison, said he had been going out with robbery gangs for over six years.

He said, "In 2008, I was arrested for armed robbery. We were five members in that gang. I was sent to the Ikoyi Prison where I served one-year jail term. We had robbed in the Ikorodu, Oshodi, Ketu and Ijebu Ode areas.

"When I came out of prison, I joined another gang. The gang leader provided the guns. I was part of the gang that robbed a Toyota Camry vehicle in Ikorodu area. We sold the vehicle at a giveaway price and I was given N100, 000."

Dada, the third suspect, said he was formerly working as a commercial bus driver before he was lured to join the gang.

He added that he had also gone on several operations.

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Kenneth Nwosu, confirmed the arrest.

He added that investigations were ongoing into the matter.

He said, "They have made useful statements and investigations into their activities are ongoing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot