Friday 24 March 2017

I played for ‘best team in England’ – Xabi Alonso

I played for ‘best team in England’ – Xabi Alonso

Xabi Alonso has told the Liverpool Echo that he considers himself “lucky” to have played for the most storied clubs in England, Spain and Germany.
Alonso will retire from football at the end of the season, bringing an end to his illustrious career at Real Sociedad, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.
The midfielder joined Liverpool in the summer of 2004, winning the Champions League and FA Cup before his departure to the Bernabeu.
“I have been lucky enough to be at great clubs from my hometown club to Liverpool to Real Madrid to Bayern Munich,” Alonso said when reflecting on his time as a player.
“For me, I’ve played for the best team in England, the best team in Spain and the best team in Germany. That’s what I wanted to have — a nice career. I’ve played with great players and worked with great managers, I’ve learned a lot from all of them.
“I’ve been lucky but I have earned that luck. I’ve been in the right place at the right moment a few times. I would never have dreamed to have had such a nice career as this. I like football and this is like a nice football journey.”
The Spaniard made 210 appearances for the Reds during his five seasons on Merseyside.
Despite leaving in 2009, Alonso says he still holds Liverpool close to his heart and that retirement will give him the opportunity to return.
“Liverpool is still a big part of my life and always will be,” Alonso added. “I still feel very attached to the club, even not being there, and I still follow the club.
“We are really looking forward to going back. I have heard great things about the new Main Stand.
“My son is desperate to go. He’s Liverpool born and always asks: ‘Dad. when are we going to Liverpool?’
“I say: ‘OK, but at the moment I have busy weekends! We will go, don’t worry.'”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot