Friday 12 May 2017

West Ham’s Bilic defends Carroll after injury

West Ham’s Bilic defends Carroll after injury

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic says he will “never give up” on striker Andy Carroll despite the striker’s continuing injury problems.
Carroll has managed 22 appearances this season and is ruled out for the rest of the season with an ongoing hip and groin problem. Last season’s 32 appearances were the most he has made for the Hammers in five seasons at the East London club.

Bilic, though, feels the 28-year-old, who is contracted until the end of the 2018-19 season, still has a significant part to play.
“Andy is kind of a player that has such a big impact on our game that we B Andy,” Bilic said. “I don’t know what the reasons were before for his absence, but this has nothing to do with lifestyle or not being committed enough.
“He works really hard, it was bad luck and as I said, I will never give up on him.
“Since the last two or three weeks it was 50-50 but unfortunately he can’t. He tried yesterday and the day before yesterday. It is nothing major but it is very frustrating not to have Andy.”
Ahead of West Ham’s final home game of the season against Liverpool, Bilic is having to deal with a fresh crop of injuries. Club captain Mark Noble has had a hernia operation and will not return until preseason, while Cheikhou Kouyate has aggravated a wrist problem and has also been sent for surgery.
Bilic was at least able to celebrate Michail Antonio, this season’s Hammer of the Year, signing a new contract this week after being linked with a move to Chelsea.
“It is great, great for both parties,” he said. “He has done a lot since he came here, he became one of our best players and played for [called up to squad] the England national team.
“It is great for him and brilliant for us to keep a great player. It shows how the club is big and ambitious.”
West Ham’s manager, who has a year left on his own contract, also deflected questions about his own future, with speculation suggesting he may be sacked by co-chairmen David Gold and David Sullivan in the summer.
“I have my contract and I do my best,” he added. “So many times i have been asked this type of question and I always answer I am not concerned about it.
“I feel the backing of the board, the players and the fans big time. I am very happy here and I don’t feel I am not welcome here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot