Sunday 12 November 2017

I Am Moved To Tears, Seeing Huge Crowds Shouting GEJ, We Want You Back” — Jonathan Speaks


Goodluck Jonathan said he would not contest in the 2019 presidential electon –

The former president said the Buhari administration has done will in the area of security –

He insisted that the PDP has zoned the presidency to the north Former president, Goodluck Jonathan has laid to rest speculation that he might contest in the 2019 presidential election insisting he has no intention of doing so.



In an interview with Dele Momodu published on This Day, Jonathan expressed happiness that he left power in 2015 without bloodshed or violence.

He said: “I have had the rare opportunity of leading our country at very critical moments and did my best. I’ve left the rest to posterity to judge.”

Asked if he would recontest in the 2019 presidential election, he said: “Contest again? No. People come to me every day saying they want me back. I’m always moved to tears whenever I go out and see the huge crowds shouting GEJ, we want you, even in the North.

Instead of getting swollen headed, I actually reflect on my achievements and mistakes and feel humbled and feel very sober…

I have never been a man of inordinate ambition. I’m a man of very modest means. I hardly travel because of the logistical costs.

I’ve played my part and I have moved on.”

Asked what he would if the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) called him to recontest, Jonathan responded: “Are you not aware that our Party has zoned the Presidency to the North, and the Chairmanship to the South?”

“Even Fayose that has declared his interest may face big challenges because of the decision of our party…”

“I’m not God but I sincerely doubt the possibility…” On his assessment of the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari, Jonathan said it has done well in the area of security and anti-corruption fight.

He said: “Honestly speaking, they have tried in the area of security and fighting corruption, even if they’ve tilted more towards us…

But we did a lot in our time in the area of agriculture, transport, managing the economy, rule of law, free and fair elections… Only Nigerians can judge…



It won’t be fair of me to pass verdict so soon on my immediate successor… “I knew they would hit brick-walls on some of their promises, especially the school feeding program and the payment of N5,000 to unemployed graduates…

We worked on feasibility studies on them in the past and realised Nigeria could not afford it… It is always the job of opposition to over-promise but reality of governance is always different…”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot