Saturday 24 February 2018

Super Eagles Goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi Opens Up On World Cup Dream


Daniel Akpeyi says he will not be overpowered by critics as he continues to work hard to make Nigeria’s team to the 2018 Fifa World Cup Russia.

The 31-year-old conceded two mischievous goals as the Super Eagles fought hard to defeat Argentina 4-2 in a November international friendly.


However, the Chippa United first choice is resolute to always give his all for the country despite the harsh criticism that greeted his performance against La Albiceleste in Krasnodar.

“I am not competing with any goalkeeper in the team; I am grateful to the coach for always extending an invitation to me and also giving me an opportunity to play,” Akpeyi told media.

“You don't have to talk me down with stories or lie against me on the pages of newspapers because you need to promote someone.
“I have not come this far in my career by mistake even though I wasn’t given a chance to get here, but I was positive about myself and I worked hard for it and with God's grace I reached the level I am today.

 “I haven't reached my mark yet. Yes, I made mistakes; some of the world’s best goalkeepers have made worst slips but they didn't quit because they were criticized and condemned, they fought through it to become the best they are today. So, I’m not an exception and I will keep fighting.” 

Akpeyi has featured 15 times for his South African topflight side this season, and he would be hoping to get the nod ahead of Brighton Mhlongo when Teboho Moloi's men welcome Orlando Pirates to Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot