Thursday, 9 November 2017

Ogun assembly majority leader sues police over alleged attack

The majority leader of Ogun State House of Assembly, Yinka Mafe, has said he instructed his lawyer to institute a legal action against the Nigeria Police, Ogun State Command over an alleged attack on Tuesday night.

The lawmaker claimed that no fewer than 50 security officers loaded in eight vehicles bombarded his wife’s hotel, TenthPlanet Suites, and Event Center in Sagamu area of the state.

The lawmaker alleged that the manager of the hotel, Loveday Odinachi, was the first victim of the security operatives as he was beaten blue black.

He said he got curious when he heard the banging of doors and distressed voice of Odinachi, and he approached the security operatives and introduced himself as the majority leader of the House of Assembly.

Mafe said one of the operatives collected his phone and smashed same on the floor, adding that he (operative) hit him with his weapon.

He said the operatives comprised Mobile police officers from Mopol 16, regular officers from Sagamu Divisional Police Headquarters and men of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps.

He alleged they later searched the hotel rooms and vandalised properties.

The lawmaker, who revealed that he would be asking for N250m damages, challenged the police to take him to court if they have any case against him.

It was, however, gathered that the alleged invasion of the Mafe’s wife hotel might not be unconnected with a pandemonium which broke out in Sagamu earlier on Tuesday.

It was gathered that on that fateful day there was a faceoff between the police and some youths of Sagamu following a fracas which happened on Monday in another hotel.

When asked about his role in Monday fracas, Mafe said he was in the company of the Chairman of the local government when he saw police led by the Sagamu Area Commander trying to disperse the protesting youths.

He said he intervened and settled the whole crisis.

When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said he was not aware of the alleged attack on the lawmaker.

He, however, revealed that about 30 suspects have been arrested in connection with Tuesday’s fracas.

He said the rampaging youths had attacked policemen and held two of them hostage before they were later rescued.

He said, “They (youths) had earlier met at one hotel and refused to pay. The owner had to call in the police. The youths held two of the policemen hostage, used stick to hit one of them on the head.

“On Tuesday, they attempted to burn down Sagamu police station but our men repel them. No fewer than 30 of them have been arrested and they are now with the Federal Anti-Robbery Squad at Magbon in Abeokuta.”

No comments:

Post a comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot