Friday 15 September 2017

Adebayo Akinfenwa hopes for promotion with Wycombe


Adebayo Akinfenwa is loving life at Wycombe Wanderers and hopes to help get the club promoted from Sky Bet League Two this season.

The big striker has scored four times in five appearances this season and appeared on EFL Matters on Thursday night where he discussed leaving AFC Wimbledon, helping out the younger players in the squad and their aims of promotion.


“I left Wimbledon when I wasn’t playing as much as I want, but did it in the best way possible by getting promoted,” he said. “I got 18 goals last season, which is good for a 35-year-old!

“But I’m enjoying it immensely. It’s a great club, we’ve got a great manager and coaching staff and really good fans.

“As you become a senior pro you need to take it on. [To use] the experiences and lessons you’ve learned to help bring on the younger players, and when they’re doing it, it can’t help but bring a smile to your face.

“I’d say I’m a big character in the dressing room and I feel like it’s a responsibility I need to take on.”

Wycombe narrowly missed out on the play-offs in League Two last season, finishing just a point behind Blackpool in seventh, and Akinfenwa hopes they can go one further this campaign.

“I always believe in progression and we’ll be in the play-offs if we get better than last season,” he said. “We need a bit of luck because we have a small squad and we need to stay injury free, but on our day we can match anybody.”

Get more stories like this on Twitter & Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot