Tuesday 30 May 2017

Chelsea’s Diego Costa may snub transfer exit and sign new contract

Chelsea star could be on brink of stunning transfer U-turn

Chelsea star Diego Costa is reportedly close to signing a new contract at Stamford Bridge, performing a sensational u-turn on a possible summer transfer away from the club.

The Spain international has been linked with a move either to the Chinese Super League or back to former club Atletico Madrid, but is now said to be leaning towards staying in London.


Costa has been at Chelsea since 2014, and has been a huge success for the Blues, scoring 58 goals in 119 appearances, winning two Premier League titles and the League Cup in the process.

The striker’s head appeared to have been turned by the prospect of a big-money move to China back in January, though he ended up seeing out the remainder of the season with Chelsea.

It had then been anticipated that Costa would leave Chelsea after last weekend’s FA Cup final, but the London Evening Standard now claim he’s had a major change of heart.

The 28-year-old now looks set to stay with the Premier League champions, and could even be close to agreeing an extension to his current contract due to expire in 2019.

Costa’s motivation may be to ensure he carries on playing regularly ahead of the 2018 World Cup, where he hopes to start up front for Spain.

‘At no point have I said anything or that I want to leave. I hope I can carry on playing, there is a World Cup next year and I hope to be there,’ he said.
‘Now is not the right time to go to China. The Chinese Super League is growing but like I said my intention is to play in the World Cup.
‘There are possibilities if I carry on playing and scoring (at the highest level). I know it’s not easy with the Spain squad but I’m still young so I either stay here or go back to Atletico.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get more stories like this on our twitter @Abdul_Ent and facebook page @abdulkukublogspot